Concealed Handgun Licensing (CHL)
The Lane County Sheriff's Office is responsible for issuing concealed handgun licenses to county residents. Citizens wanting a concealed handgun license (CHL) must complete an application and meet all requirements before a license can be obtained. Requirements are set by the State of Oregon and can be found under ORS 166.291. Here's a link to that statute and others related to concealed handgun licenses:
The requirements are:
- You must be a US citizen, or a legal alien who can document continuous residency in the country for at least six months and declared in writing to the INS your intent to acquire citizenship (Form N400).
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Not have any legal condition which would prohibit you from possessing a firearm under either Oregon or Federal law.
- Have no outstanding warrants for your arrest.
- Not have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Services.
- Not be an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance.
- Not be on any form of pre-trial release.
- Not be required to register as a sex offender in any state.
- Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor, or found guilty of a misdemeanor, within the four years prior to application, except under ORS 161.295.
- Not be subject to a citation issued under ORS 163.735 or an order issued under ORS 30.866, 107.700 to 107.723, or 163.738 (e.g. Stalking or Restraining Orders).
- Demonstrate competency (see below for definitions and requirements).
**New as of 2009** Except as provided in ORS 166.291(1)(L), not be convicted of an offense involving controlled substances or completed a court-supervised drug diversion program. (Note: if you intend to investigate having a charge expunged, please be aware that the eligibility requirements to obtain an expungement vary from state to state.)
- Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course which includes handguns approved by the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife, or similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of that course.
- Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement if handgun safety was a component of the course.
- Present evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service (e.g. DD214).
- Licensed or have been licensed to carry a concealed firearm in this state unless the license has been revoked.
The Lane County Sheriff's Office has been asked by the following instructors to provide their names as certified NRA Instructors who offer the required training described above. The Lane County Sheriff's Office does not endorse any course or individual instructor. This information is provided only as a public service. For further information about upcoming classes, cost, class location, etc., please contact the instructor directly.
Link to the: NRA Instructor List
In addition to the listed NRA instructors, the Oregon State Sheriffs' Association has created an on-line class that is available to all persons as an educational tool free of charge. For those who want to use this training to satisfy the Oregon educational requirement for handgun safety training, a certificate is available upon course completion for a $55 fee. This on-line class has been created and reviewed by members of the Oregon Enforcement and CHL community. The class meets the statutory requirement for the Concealed Handgun License defined in ORS 166.29(C).
Link to the: OSSA CHL class information
For additional information, please read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below:
Link to: CHL FAQs
When You're Ready:
If you feel you meet the requirements to apply for a concealed handgun license, you can obtain the applications and other materials at the link below:
Link to: CHL Forms, Instuctions & Appointment Scheduling
The Lane County Sheriff's Office is located at:
Lane County Courthouse - Downtown Eugene
125 E. 8th Avenue, Room 140
Eugene OR 97401