Public Records on County Internet Website
Lane Manual 2.185
2.185 Public Records on County Internet Website.
The purpose of this policy is to provide procedures for Lane County in distributing public records information on the County Internet website that contains certain personal information. The following objectives were used in guiding this policy:
(1) Allow public ease of access to public records information that is currently being provided at County offices;
(2) The law may prohibit the County from disclosing certain personal information about members of the public; other personal information should be protected where feasible;
(3) Recognize that individuals who demonstrate a danger to personal safety or to the safety of a family member residing with them may request that a record containing their home address and telephone number not be disclosed;
2-12 WP l/ma/00008.Chapter2/T 2.187 Lane Manual 2.189
(4) Promote public trust and confidence in the use of services and information provided by the County Internet website;
(5) Inform the public about the practices, procedures and principles for public records information that is distributed on the County Internet website. (Revised by Order No. 02-3-12-4, Effective 3.12.02)
This policy applies to public records information distributed from Lane County Internet websites that contain personal information as that term is used in Oregon Public Records Law, applicable regulations, or judicial interpretations of these. (Revised by Order No. 02-3-12-4, Effective 3.12.02)
(1) Personal Information. It is the County’s intent to balance the public’s interests in access to public records information on the County Internet website (now available only in County offices) and to protect certain personal information from disclosure when required and when feasible. The County intends to not distribute to the public the following personal information on the County Internet website:
(a) Social security number;
(b) Driver license number;
(c) Mother’s maiden name;
(d) Credit card information;
(e) Bank account information;
(f) Residential telephone numbers;
(g) Health or medical records;
(h) Place of birth.
It is the County’s intent to comply with all applicable laws and regulations which prohibit disclosure of certain personal information about members of the public. This includes some of the information in the list above.
Placing public records information on the County website may increase the availability of that information, as well as increase the risk of disclosure of personal information that may not otherwise be prohibited from disclosure. This may include other information listed above. Due to budget constraints, it is not feasible for the County to review each specific record or type of data prior to such a potential disclosure through the County website. It is the County’s intent to only distribute on the County website types of data or documents:
(a) Where a majority of the data or documents would not contain personal information of the type listed above, and or,
(b) Where a majority of the data or documents may include such personal information in a common location which can be deleted by that common field. The purpose of this policy is to balance the competing objectives of making public documents and data from those documents more readily available on the County website, but limiting the occurrence of disclosure of personal information not otherwise prohibited from disclosure. The County shall determine, in its discretion, the types of data and documents which meet the criteria above. Nothing in this policy is intended to create a cause of action arising out of the County’s implementation of this policy.
(2) Non-Disclosure for Personal Safety Reasons. Public records information distributed from the County Internet website will comply with ORS 192.445. In certain instances, this will require the County Internet website to not release or make available a specific public record indicating the home address or telephone number of an individual
that has made a request and has demonstrated there is a danger to personal safety or to the safety of a family member residing with them if the public record is disclosed.
(3) Approval Process Distributing Public Records Information. Lane County Technology Management Team (TMT) is delegated the responsibility to review and approve the types of data and documents to be distributed on the County Internet website in accordance with this policy, including consideration of budgetary constraints. Departments will submit requests for Internet distribution approval per policy guidelines.
(4) Related Policies, Guidelines or Standards. The County Administrator is the delegated authority to adopt administrative procedures and guidelines to implement this policy. (Revised by Order No. 02-3-12-4, Effective 3.12.02)